Re: TR6 Front Hub Adjustment, Felt Seal

Subject: Re: TR6 Front Hub Adjustment, Felt Seal
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 14:56:02 -0800
Pete :

I would be most concerned about the nut going too far down the stub
axle, IMO that's worth pulling the hub to investigate.  Look for the
stub axle coming loose in the vertical link, and the bearings themselves
breaking up.

The factory felt seal goes with the felt side towards the vertical
link.  Compressing it should not be a factor, if you used the procedure
of torquing the axle nut, then backing off the specified number of
flats.  It may not look very efficient, but since it's primary job is
not keeping grease in the hub, but rather keeping dirt out, it works
surprisingly well.

Randall