RE: Changing upper suspension arms TR3

To: davidt@opentext.com
Subject: RE: Changing upper suspension arms TR3
From: tr6nut@telocity.com
Date: 29 Aug 2001 10:52:47 -0700
Cc: miket@rio.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
I've been thinking about this for the past couple of minutes (better than
thinking about work) and I think that Mike is correct.  On a TR6 the shock is
inside of the spring and fastened at the top of the suspension tower and at the
spring pan.  Since changing the upper a-arm components and the upper ball joint
does not involve any of the spring attachment points, you don't need a spring
compressor (since you are not doing anything with any of the parts that hold
the spring in place.  The upper a-arm are not under any compressive/tensive
force - they go along "for the ride" with the rest of the suspension and serve
to locate the upper part of the upright/spindle.  Come to think of it, I think
that I have changed these conponents without ever touching the spring.  I don't
know about the TR3-4, but I would imagine that they are similar.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6