Suspension & Steering TRs

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension & Steering TRs
From: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:20:37 -0500
Listers,
I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to discussing or understanding handling as it
relates to TRs or any other car for that matter. I was hoping the racers,
autocrossers and generally aggressive drivers could chime in about what it takes
to make a TR handle well and what compromises are inevitable when doing so.

For those of you that know, how does the complex interaction of springs,
bushings (rubber, urethane, nylatron), shocks and swaybars (oops! anti-roll
bars) front and rear effect handling? How is this different on IRS suspensions
(4A-6) and solid axle (2-4A)? Also, how do ride height, castor, camber and
toe-in modify the equation? Tire sizes and composition, temperature, humidity,
moon phase, day of the week, stem cell research...anything that I missed?

Please respond to the list. I was hoping to spark a general discussion that will
help me (and perhaps others) decide how to rebuild my front and rear suspension
this winter. Since the archives are down more than up, it's hard to get this
info any other way.

I realize this is opening a can of worms...

Thanks!

Mark A. Evans

1966 TR4A IRS CTC63970 LO 'Tressy'
markaevans@mindspring.com