Re: Pricing question, hello

To: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pricing question, hello
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 19:12:17 -0400
Daniel:

Martin S. wrote a nice, coherent reply about choosing a Spitfire, but I'd
like to offer a slightly different point of view.

> Spitfires are great little cars

Couldn't agree more!

> but you may prefer to find one that is not younger than a '74, because
> after about that year, the cars get bogged down w/pollution control

True enough but consider two more points.

1. The seriously-power-consuming emissions-control devices were the air pump
and exhaust gas re-circulation, and to a lesser extent the catalytic
converter.  In most cars, especially those in the price range of $500, the
air pump probably seized long ago and was therefore removed and its air-
injector nozzles plugged.  (If not, that's a job you are likely going to
have to do or pay for yourself.)  The EGR valve may be in place but is easy
to disengage simply by pulling and plugging the small actuator line.  You
can certainly leave the converter in place but you can also replace the
exhaust system.  That's another job you may have to do anyway, though the
stainless-steel converter and attached downpipe don't corrode much at all
compared to the exhaust pipe itself.  The bottom line is that those emission
devices are probably not an issue.  On the other hand, if you live in a
place where they are still required, then good luck on finding another
functional air pump. :-o

2. The 1500 engine will produce more power and torque than the 1300, and
without the emission-control stuff should make the car quicker.  (The reason
Triumph went to the longer crank in the first place was to maintain as much
performance as possible as emission laws took effect.)  Some people argue
that the bearings in the 1300 will last longer.  Probably true, but you are
more likely to be rev'ing the 1300 higher which will age it faster.  So just
keep your oil fresh, drive and enjoy the car, and don't worry about it.

> and acquire some cosmetic changes you may not like.

Certainly true that later models had big bumper guards, and eventually a non-
chrome bumper.  Of course, the biggest difference was between the Mk 3 and
the Mk IV.  The black bumper looks good on my white-w/black trim 1980.

> ...consider buying the best car you can afford,...
> you can spend $5K restoring a car in a heartbeat.

All very true.  If you can, find one with OD if you ever intend to make it a
serious driver.  A Spitfire in good condition can be a very nice car indeed,
but OD makes it waaay better on the highway.

> > It's a 1978-1980 (owner isn't sure, and can't find the title right now)

If the bumper is all black, it's '80 or late '79.  Check the commission
number on the plate on the firewall just under the bonnet on the driver's
side.  1978 started with FM70001U, 1979 started with FM95001 or FM95001U,
and 1980 started with FM11000U, according to the TRF Spitfire catalogue.

> > It runs, and drives, but the paint and interior are quite bad.  Rust is
> > minimal, but the paint is faded, cracked, and peeling.  The seats are
> > really ratty.  It needs  tires, and it could really use a new top.

All those things are fixable if you throw money at them!  After you upgrade
them your cost may be up in the range where you could have gotten a better
car in the first place.  But by starting with an inexpensive car that has a
good body, frame, and mechanicals you'll be starting with a good platform,
you can do it all piecemeal as your budget allows, and you'll have the
satisfaction of having done it yourself (if that's worth anything to you).
You'll just have to live with a ratty car for a year or two more...  My
preference would be to start nicer (been through the fix-it-up routine
already) but it all depends on your budget.  Some people prefer fixing
mechanical stuff over cosmetic stuff

> >  The odometer says ~80,000, but I have know idea if it's got 80,000 or
> > x80,000, because it's just got 5 digits.

I hate to tell you this but in the "old days" all cars had just 5-digit
odometers!  (You must be a youngster. :-)  VW started the 6-digit odomoter
craze, on the Rabbit in the mid-to-late 70's if I remember correctly.  That
Spitfire is *VERY* unlikely to be 180,000!!  And since they don't go into
negative digits, yours is most certainly 80,000, or higher if it has ever
not worked properly in its lifetime.

>  The motor seems ok, but it's really dirty (my spitfire
> owning friend says that they're all like that,

Martin is right, access is great.  Just because the engine is easy to clean
doesn't mean that someone actually cleaned it tho'.  A lot of people bought
Spitfires because they were cheap (the cars, not the buyers), and then took
them for granted, so pride-of-ownership wasn't high on their priority lists.
But you can clean it yourself.  And a dirty engine doesn't necessarily mean
a neglected one.  Given the choice you'd sure like to see how dirty it is
inside instead.

Just my two cents.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com