Mallory Mechanical Advance recurve kit.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mallory Mechanical Advance recurve kit.
From: kluckvon <kluckvon@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:14:23 -0500
Listers,
  Thanks for the replies on the brake drums - got a new splined hub, and
that seemed to fix the wobble in the wheel that got curbed. So now it's just
a question of finding the 240z drums...
  On to another question. I just ordered the advance curve kit for the
mallory dual point mechanical advance distrib. (Old one self destructed.)
Anyone have experience with using one of these kits? The Tr4's engine
has 89mm pistons from BFE, rebuilt head shave to bring compression to
about 10:1, a header, monza exhaust, and K&N's. The problem with the
preset curve on the mallory is that I can either have the engine make
proper power at low rpm, and then start to ping around 3000 rpm, or have
no power at the low end and then really pick up around 2600 rpm, but
overheat. The first condition has the timing intially set at somewhere
around 2-3 BTDC, advancing to somewhere around 8 or 9 BTDC by 3000,
while the condition that makes better high end power is obviously initially
more retarded and is at about 4 or 5 deg. BTDC at 3000 RPM.
  After looking at all the material I could find online about this, my
question
is whether to change out the springs for heavier ones, slowing down the
advance curve, or use lighter ones, sacrificing some of the low end for a
faster total advance.

 This is definitely beyond the scope of my knowledge...
Thanks in advance
Jordan von Kluck
63 TR4