RE: Age Related Discounts/Younger Owners (!!!!!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Age Related Discounts/Younger Owners (!!!!!)
From: Greg Tobin <gtobin@channelpoint.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:37:39 -0600
Cc: Greg Tobin <gtobin@channelpoint.com>
  Surprising, that we have an elitist Triumph hobbyist in our midst, isn't
it?  Someone who, now that he's reached his lofty mid-20's, thinks that he
has a complete grip on why people buy old quirky cars and use them for
whatever purposes.  Mind if we all take a peek at your cars, Kai, and see if
you qualify as a DCO, or if everything is just simply perfect (not concours)
in the way you've rebuilt it?  I imagine that it's not.  None of our cars
are.  They're a work in progress.

   You know, this very attitude is exactly what dissuades kids from 8 to 80
from participating in any hobby, be it ham radio (learn your morse code
before your license), draft horses (first-hand stories of the dust bowl
depression years), or old cars of *any* make.  I own old cars and draft
horses, and it's sad, but this elitist 'initiation' is prevelant in both
hobbies, sort of the I've got mine, now *you* have to meet my standards,
whatever they may be.

   Is it a tad bit of repressed jealousy that drives you to be such a Brit
car snob, ruining the image the rest of us have, as friendly people who like
something a little offbeat to drive? Did someone dust you at a light one
day, and they happened to be young and in a hot hatch?  Please, do the rest
of a favour and don't present yourself to the general public as the Oracle
of British Iron, it's not your calling.

   The Brit car hobby will plain die out with attitudes like yours, as will
the Street Rods and pre-war cars.  Too bad you already consider yourself to
be a grumpy old man, as most of the 'grumpy' old men on this list are
actually pretty cool, and a lot younger than the calendar says.

   I'm 31, have owned my first spitfire for 15 years.  Yes, I was a DPO/DCO
in that car, and it's basically used up at 100K.  It's longer than the
factory designed them for anyways.  But so what?  It was mine (key point
here) and I had years of fun with it.  Thankfully back then, I was
headstrong enough to not listen to elitist psuedo-enthusiasts such as
yourself to buy it anyway.   And you know what?  I bought 3 more Triumphs
because of that car.

  So- go off and be a cranky sort who desires tests for kids to buy cars
that don't meet the appliance standard, and leave the rest of us to enjoy
our neat little cars that we'll use up, thrash, restore, and drive as we see
fit.  We'll all have fun without you, trust me.

Greg Tobin
72 Mark Iv  daily driver
79 1500 garage potato
69 gt6+(x2) future Solo II