TR4-A wheel stud dud

To: Mark.Evans@anheuser-busch.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4-A wheel stud dud
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:37:37 EDT
what about a heli-coil? might cost $10 but it probably would be permanent fix
and save you labor and money in the long run.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L

>>Drat!
While replacing the short wire wheel lugs with new long disc wheel lugs on my
66
TR4a, I find that one is spinning on the front left. The splines or reeds are
nearly smooth in the hub. I won't be able to torque a lug nut and it won't be
safe unless I fix it. I thought about it and searched the archives to come up
with the following possibilities:
1. A spot of weld to hold it - but I don't weld.
2. A spot of J.B. Weld to hold it - seems like a jury rig.
3. Use a punch and peen around the wheel side of the hole (to make it smaller)
and use red lock tite.
4. Buy a new hub - waaaay too expensive ($190 - $220).
5. Buy a used hub - got to find one reasonably priced.
I would like to do 3 while I search for 5. What does everyone else think? Is 3
safe enough? How have others solved this problem?
Thanks,
Mark A. Evans
1966 TR4A IRS CTC63970 LO 'Tressy'
markaevans@mindspring.com<<