Left Turns and Zeniths

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Left Turns and Zeniths
From: "JEREMY CHINN" <lagrue@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 02:39:05 FILETIME=[01FC9980:01C0F869]
Since a number of other listers apparently had the same problem as I did, I
wanted to let everyone know how it turned out.
The problem was that under heavy left turns in auto x's, my car would 'bog'
heavily, then recover and charge on.
I got many great answers from all over, but the concensus seemed to be that
I needed to check my carb floats.
A blown manifold gasket necessitated the removal of the carbs, and gave me
the perfect opportunity to check the floats. The Haynes manual suggested a
16-17mm float height when closed (hold the carb upside down and measure from
the highest part of the float to the edge where the bowl mates up). On
opening the carbs, I found that in fact neither needle would ever close! The
floats were hitting the roof of the floatbowl chamber before the needle was
even close to closing!!! My only guess is that I accidentally bent the tabs
on the floats when cleaning the carbs (I clean em every couple of years).
Finding all this, I set the floats per the manual (16.5mm) and set off for
the autocross. Results- 2nd place in my class and one heckuva fun ride! No
bogging in any turns, just rubber shredding, opposite lock, head bangin into
the rollbar acceleration!!!!!! Yee Hawwwww.
I hope this helps someone else out there.
One other note, before opening the bowls, make sure you have replacement
bowl gaskets.
The Oppositelocksmith