TR3 spring removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 spring removal
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
I have read the many discussions on how to compress
the front springs on the TR3, so I won't go there. My
question is: I am stripping the front suspension from
the frame, bolt by bolt. This is a frame-off resto and
I'm working on the stripping and POR-15'ing for now. I
need to know, at what point do I need to make sure the
spring is compressed while stripping the suspension.
Currently, I've got the hub and caliper mounting plate
off and am working on getting the verticle link w/
ball joint out. I am also freeing up the bolts that
hold the lower wishbone to the spring pan. Will the
spring release its stored energy during this time? At
which point will the spring eventually let go?

I plan to buy the spring compressor made by TRF on
Monday, but would like to get as far along as possible
tomorrow. (And, no, I don't have access to a hardware
store tomorrow, so must wait).

Also, along those lines, I just want to say that I've
never encountered so many slotted nuts in one car,
much less in just part of one side's suspension. It's
amazing how liberal they were with these! And, of
course, each is a PITA to get off, with all the years
of grime holding each cotter pin in place firmly. All
cotter pins are now trash: is there a cheaper source
than the big three, which want .15-.20 each (adds up
quick!). I'm looking for a box of 50 or something. All
the slotted nuts look OK, but if I do need to replace
one, are the new ones being manufactured up to the
same quality?

Oh, I'm doing all this work because I finally got the
body lifted from the frame this weekend. I have the
body resting on a 48" tall wood structure made of 4x4s
that allows the frame to roll out. Maximize usable
garage space! I took pics and will post to my site
Monday. I am also doing a detailed recording of the
tear-down on MiniDV. Mainly to help remember which
bolt goes where, but potentially to offer to other
people going through this madness. Think there's a
demand for this? I know I would love to get a "rust to
restored" documentary, if it exsisted.

Cheers,

Richardjr
TS42099L, on track for being restored summer 2003!
http://buzz.yahoo.com/