Re: Crane electronic ignition tune up

To: January Williams <january@exchange.chemeketa.edu>
Subject: Re: Crane electronic ignition tune up
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:36:25 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
January :

A regular timing light should work fine to see the timing, and I believe
a stock 4A dizzy can be accurately timed at idle (the TR3 dizzy starts
it's centrifugal advance below idle speed, but I don't believe the TR4/A
does).

Based on my recent experiences with a Crane, I believe your problem is
not advance, but 'phasing' (the relationship between the optical pickup
and the rotor).  I would suggest you try opening it up, and moving the
location of the pickup on the point plate about 1/8" clockwise, then
close it back up and reset the timing (with the light) by loosening the
clamp at the bottom of the dizzy and turning the dizzy body.  That was
the magic it took to make my TR3A run right with the Crane.  (BTW go
easy when tightening the pinch bolt back down.  It only has to be tight
enough that you can't turn the dizzy by hand, and overtightening
frequently breaks the dizzy body.)

Or, you can go to Crane's website and get their instructions on how to
set the phasing, which involve ruining a dizzy cap (cutting a hole in it
so you can shine a timing light on the rotor while the engine is
running).  See
http://www.cranecams.com/instructions/electronics.htm#Ignitions

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - with Crane XR3000