Re: If it isn't wheel balance what is it?

To: mhooper@pixelsystems.com
Subject: Re: If it isn't wheel balance what is it?
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:36:41 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/11/01 11:23:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mhooper@pixelsystems.com writes:

> My 72 TR6 has an irritating habit. Between 65 and 70 mph (measure on my
> slightly wavering speedometer) 2800-3000 rpm on my o/d transmission (o/d
> off), the front of the car shakes. Not very hard, but definitely enough to
> be irritating. It feels very like one of the wheels is unbalanced. That is
> to say like the front of the car is hopping in a twisty sort of fashion.
> Left up right down, left down right up.  etc... You can feel it through the
> steering wheel. Accelerate above 3100 and it starts to fade, at 3400 it's
> dead smooth.

Tires out of round. Or so I'm told.  It's been a recurring problem on our 95
Corolla. I frankly don't understand it. I mean I understand what it means --
but I don't understand how every blanking set of tires we get goes out of
round on this car.
And, yes, we checked everything else before springing for the new set a
couple of sets ago. Partly because I didn't accept the out of round diagnosis
at first.
But a brand new set of four and the problem goes away.
But only to return eventually.
Can it be the car that makes the tires go out of round?
Or am I the victim of a snipe hunt?

Jim