Sealing up a TR3 transmission

Subject: Sealing up a TR3 transmission
From: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:11:11 -0700
As long as I had the engine and trans out of my TR3 I decided
it would be nice to clean off years of accumulated grease and
grime from the outside of the trans and from inside the
bellhousing. After getting it all nice and pretty I started
wondering how all that greasy stuff got there. I think a bunch
of it blew back from the motor but some may have come out of the
trans itself. Is there any way to tell if the trans seals need
replacing without taking things apart? For example if I tilt
one end of the trans up should any oil come out of the other
end? I would think that the seals should keep all the oil inside.
One thing I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be anything
which keep oil from leaking down the splines on the output flange.
Should the splines be sealed up some how?

Thanks,
Drew

--
Drew Rogge