RE: Help needed Mating OD

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help needed Mating OD
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:29:26 -0500
>>>I'm in the process of mating the OD to the transmission .
can some one describe to me  how much  resistance I should expect
when mating
these components, as the spring compress I hear some popping.<<<

Ronnie,

The shop manual wanted you to use a "dummy" mainshaft to align
the "one-way" clutch and the gun gear spline teeth so that as you
move the OD forward... the mainshaft slips into place with
everything.  You can do this by removing the OD and looking down
inside and you will see the two female splines deep inside the
rear case.  One of my manuals suggests making up a thin piece of
wood or steel just wide enough to match the outer diameter of the
mainshaft splines and using it to get alignment.  If its only off
a bit you can use a long screwdriver.  you need to push a little
on the clutch assembly to allow the two female splines to move
independently.

Now you can install the OD.  Before you start make sure that the
pump drive cog is setup so the thin part is up and will require
very little lift to allow the pump drive to slip over it.  Also
make sure all the short and long springs are in their right
places and they are sitting correctly on the adapter plate bumps.
BTW, don't forget to safety wire the 3 sets of adapter plate
bolts.

Slide the unit onto the mainshaft until it gets to the sun gear.
You can measure the depth to know when this about to happen. Jog
the rear drive flange just a little to get the mainshaft splines
past the sun gear and the use you body to push against the
springs to make sure the "one-way" clutch is free to slip into
place.

Now you can thread on the two long stud nuts and get just a
little amount of tension. At this point it's time to use a long
skinny screw driver to slip the pump drive plunger onto the drive
cog.  This slips back and forth on the mainshaft and can be
easily moved under the pump plunger.

Now it's dime to draw the OD body into the adapter using the long
stud bolts.  If there is any resistance STOP.  At any time you
should be able to push against the spring tension with your body
and the OD should freely slide forward. It will take a while...
but when everything is in place it will move forward smoothly.

Good Luck

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site