Starter shim?

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter shim?
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:25:02 -0500
I recently purchased a 1970 TR6 that has an occasional problem starting.
Here is the symptom:  when trying to start the car the starter attempts to
engage but does not.  The starter was replaced recently due to the same
symptoms by the PO.  The car has never failed to start, but I certainly want
to get to the bottom of the problem.  Here is another added related
question:  when I picked up the car, the PO gave me what looks like a metal
gasket that fits between the starter and the engine; not sure how he
happened to have it.  Would this gasket relieve my problem.

I asked a buddy who knows a little about cars (not LBC's) and he indicated
that the starter was most likely engaging too far and when it hits the
flywheel it jumps back or resets.

Thanks

1970
CC54994