RE: TR6 TDC and Harmonic Balancer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 TDC and Harmonic Balancer
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:46:02 -0800
Don :

I've seen it happen on other engines with similar harmonic "balancers",
don't see why it couldn't happen to a TR6.

You can make a piston stop to find TDC by breaking the ceramic out of an old
sparkplug, threading the shell and inserting a bolt.  Since TDC itself is
somewhat hard to observe directly, you _gently_ turn the crank either
direction until the piston hits the stop, then take TDC to be half-way
between the two stop positions.  Stops are also available commercially, at
almost any performance shop.  One on-line source is Crane Cams :
http://www.cranecams.com/master/toolcmpr.htm

Randall

Don Clark wrote :

> Has anyone heard of the ring on a harmonic balancer that has the timing
> marks on it twisting from its original position?

///
///