re:TR6 4.1:1 ring and pinion

To: " Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com" <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:TR6 4.1:1 ring and pinion
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:24:52 -0500
Greg, I have the 4.1 in my mildly tuned TR4A.  It is hard to compare, but the
acceleration
off the line in better....   But is it significant?  If you need every secong
in an autocross, then yes.
It is significant on the road?  Maybe yes.

You need the OD to drop highway revs back down to "normal" (actually a couple
of hundred less
than the 3.7 at highway speed)

If you want REAL highway cruzin', then use the 3.7 and add the OD!

The ebay parts seemed a little pricy to me, I'd expect to pay that for the
entire pumpkin, used, ready to
go.

The downside of the 4.1 rear is the speedometer.  You need a considerably
different
calibration number and there are hard to find.  You might get made a soeedometer
 "adapter" which turns 41 rotations into 37 rotations.

-Tony

>Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:17:06 -0600
>From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
>Subject: TR6 4.1:1 ring and pinion
>
>Just curious...  Anyone out there running a 4.1:1 rear axle ratio in a TR6
>with overdrive?   Over the years, I have thought at various times about
>putting that ratio in my TR6 for faster acceleration off the line.  I'd
>love to hear from someone actually running it and hear what they think of
>the gain in acceleration.  Are there any sources out there for rear ends
>with 4.1:1 gears or just ring and pinions?  What got me to thinking about
>this again was that I saw someone offering a "new" 4.1:1 ring and pinion
>for sale on ebay.  Of course, I have no idea what something like that is
>worth and even if I bought it, I still have to install it or have someone
>else install it.....
>
>Thanks,
>Greg
><