Zs vs SUs carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Zs vs SUs carbs
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:03:28 EST
<<The point is that the ZS is harder to tune and IMHO not as reliable as a
good ole SU.>>

Can't say that I agree.
Last Summer I rebuilt four carbs at once. Two SUs and two Stromberg 175s. The
quality of construction and materials used were virtually identical. The
major difference being the vacuum valve design. The Z has a rubber diaphram
(which is quoted in books to be "more precise than the SU air valve") that
needs to be replaced every five or so years. The SU has no rubber diaphram
(although you need to clean SU chambers more often as they get carbonized
easier than the Zs).
I tuned both sets of carbs and both seem darn near the same.
The whole time I was rebuilding and tuning these carbs I was trying to
determine which I thought were better -
couldn't decide - except that they're both great carburettor sets.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 with Z carbs
'63 122S since '81 with SU carbs

///