Re: Weber Conversion

To: Tr6pjw@aol.com
Subject: Re: Weber Conversion
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:26:23 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

Regarding your question about DGV's vs DCOE's....

My personal recommendation is to stay away from DGV's. They just don't flow
as well as they could due to the toilet trap adapter needed to install
them. They are fine carbs, but I tend to tune for power - so I'd look away
from DGV's for power.

I agree in principle to Hugh Barber''s post, but with the following
clarification: you _can_ derive benefits from installing DCOE's regardless
of internal engine mods. However, if your motor is not in _perfect tune_,
you will be very frustrated trying to dial the motor in with the correct jets.

If you decide that you just have to have Webers, don't forget the most
important part of your Triumph's performance: the exhaust. A good header
and a free flow exhaust are critical to get the power out of this setup.
Without them, you'll get marginal gains (maybe 5 or 10 HP) with them, and
some other simple mods, you can easily gain 25 HP.

Regarding economy, I can only offer this: you don't spend $2000 on a set of
Webers to getter metter milage. But, with some "economy jetting" in my TR6
with no O/D, I was able to get about 25 MPG at 70 MPH on _one_ trip. Around
town, that setup was terrible and I'd get more like 15 or maybe 16 MPG.
When I futzed with that setup, I could get low end power but then _nothing_
about 4500 RPM's - not very practical for my application, which was racing.

So, if I was looking for performance I'd consider Webers to be part of the
overall solution, but not the first one. If you put the tuned exhaust in
with the stock carbs, for example, you will see a power increase. If you
wanna continue on the power tuning thing, you could try SU HS6's before you
try the DCOE's and see if you can those to flow better than the ZS 175's.

But don''t figure you're going to spend a few hundred $$$ and get
tons-o-power. It just ain't gonna happen.

I can provide more details, if you are interested.

regards,
rml
TR6's

///