re:TR3 Transmission Problems

To: "blambert@socal.rr.com" <blambert@socal.rr.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:TR3 Transmission Problems
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:52:28 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
>Any ideas?  Is there anything I can check while the trans is still in
>the car?  Do these symptoms seem typical of a specific, known problem?
>
>The transmission # is TS28xxx, apparently from a pre 50000 TR3.
<

Well, I do not have a definite answer.  The stalling of the engine is probably
due to
the transmission attempting to be in 2 gears at once.  The ability to "select"
second
by attempting to shift into reverse is a little bit of a mystery.  The problem
is either
in the selector hubs or the shift linkage.  You need to have the fork pull the
hub off one gear
prior to selecting the next.  It sounds like the fork is not properly
disengaging the gear,
probably because the shift linkage is not functioning properly.

It would be interesting to get the transmission locked then pull the top off
and see what gears are
engaged.

-Tony

///