Clutch question

To: sltucker1@earthlink.net, triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch question
From: "Crockett, Steve" <steve.crockett@analog.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:55:24 -0500
Susan....Do yourself a favor and try the simple solution first. I experienced
similar symptoms last summer with my '60 TR3A....spoke with a couple of people
at a Triumph gathering and they both suggested replacing the clutch hose. This
was done (with a replacement from TRF) in about 15 minutes with NO BLEEDING
neccessary and solved the problem 100%. (some plastic wrap over the open top of
the reservoir will stem 95% of the flow of fluid when changing out the hose).
Got the same advice from the listers.....a wonderful resource!!!!!!! Here is the
detail from one of the listers....

Steve :

It's reasonably straightforward, if a bit messy.  Unless you are using DOT 5, I
would suggest just draining the clutch side of the hydraulic system by opening
the bleed valve on the slave (with a tube into a container) and pumping the
clutch pedal a few times.  As an alternative, you can put a piece of plastic
under the reservoir lid (I used a ZipLoc bag last time) to temporarily seal the
M/C and minimize the fluid lost while the system is open.  Otherwise, as soon
as you open a fitting, the entire reservoir contents will start siphoning out.

You have to start at the body end of the line, holding the line fitting with
one wrench while you turn the flare nut with another wrench, so the line
fitting does not turn and twist the solid line.  A "flare nut" wrench is a good
idea.  Once the flare nut is off, remove the nut that holds the fitting to the
tab on the frame, and pull out the fitting.  Now, you can unscrew the flex line
from the end of the slave cylinder.  Assembly is, as they say, the reverse.  I
don't recall if there is a copper washer between the line fitting and the
slave, but if there is, you should probably replace it.

My experience has been that bleeding is usually unnecessary.  I pump the pedal
until I feel some clutch action, hold it for a few seconds, and release.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver