BMW "Z" and Triumph TR. Men's Cars? Long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: BMW "Z" and Triumph TR. Men's Cars? Long
From: Fred Marks <marks_fred@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:45:05 -0800 (PST)
Listers...

Get your flamethrowers ready...  :-)

Laura noted correctly that there are very few women
driving BMW "Z" cars.  Personally I'm not surprised.
I don't think the car has much appeal to very many
women, unlike say the 3-series convertible seems to.
The Z is not "cute," like a Miata, it's styling is
very aggressive looking.  It doesn't coddle the driver
like a 3-series does, (I own one of them and it's the
kind of car one can make a ton in without paying much
mind to the act) while the Z is a bit of a handful to
drive fast.  Refined, yet still demanding.

Putting it in perspective, as I remember it was a
rarity (and I know there were and are exceptions) for
a woman to own and drive a TR6.  I recall reading back
in '75 or '76 in either Motor Trend or R&T a review of
the TR6 in comparison to the Datsun Z-car, MGB, Fiat
summarized the TR6 as (not my words) a "man's sports
car," one requiring heavy driver inputs and hard work
to drive at speed.

Two phrases I remember to this day from that article,
describing the '6 as requiring  "two arms and a leg to
steer" and referring to the act of stepping on the
brake pedal as "akin to kicking a rock."

Damn, I read that 25 years ago and it still sticks
:-)

A Man's sports car?  Ask me today if I think that's a
lot of sexist rot and I'll surely agree.  Sure it is.
But throughout the 70's I think I can recall only the
barest handful of women driving TR6s.  I think it's
very much the same with the BMW Z3 today.

Spitfires have always had a lot of women
owner/drivers, just as Miatas do today.  Both these
cars are very, very different in personality from the
TR and the Z.  Personally, I think the TR and the Z
are bred of the same mettle.

The BMW Z platform would make a lousy Spitfire, I
agree.  But a TR?  Hmm.

Just food for thought.  .:BuRp.:.

Fred Marks (ducking and covering :-)
GT6 V6 Conv. Proj. Car