Electrics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrics
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 12:51:26 EST

I apologize in advance for the following questions which could have been
avoided had I just taken photos or made better notes. I am about to get into
the area I know the least about (Whew! That's saying something.) -- the
electrics -- on the 65 4A. Over the last year and a half or two I've lost a
little of my intimidation in this area thanks to this list but now it's time
to actually get into this. When I dismantled the car, I think I kept the
disruption of the system to a minimum. I cut a few wires at the very front
and back (taillights and a couple to the headlights and running and parking
lights) and those will be spliced (even I can do that). The rest I left
intact and for the most part connected, The connections I separated, I marked
so that should be ok. I should note that, at the time, the electrics worked
okay except for the ignition key which needed jiggling at best to sometimes
make the connection. That (will) be something I need to resolve but first:
- Is it possible/acceptable/advisable/safe to just hook up the
solenoid/starter to turn the engine over? If so, how? Just connect the
battery terminals and let 'er rip? Any precautions?  Do I need to reconnect
the whole system or can I set something up where I can get power to the
starter without completely reconnecting the wiring throughout the car.
- Horns. I have one from the 64 TR4 parts car and a new one from Moss. The
one from the car has two spade receptors on it and the new one has four. How
come?
What's the relay (I presume that's what it is) that sits behind the passenger
side horn? It has four wires going into it from the harness and those weren't
disconencted except briefly (and recently) to spray a little touch up on it.
I've reconnected to the generator and have a single spade connector left over
with two wires that appear to be the same color running into it. I can't tell
the color but it's goldish or maybe even just dingy white. But the horn on
that side has two spade receptors and I only have that single connector left
to connect to anything.
Also, on the driver's side of the engine compartment (left hand drive) I have
two wires that I believe go to the horn but, as I said, the new horn from
Moss has four connectors on it. Does it matter which two receptors I connect
the wires to?
Now for real stupidity. Sitting on top of the engine (placed there
unconnected to anything by me so long ago I don't remember where I took it
from and thus where it goes.) It's a single piece of wire about six inches
long with loop connectors on each end -- one larger than the other. I can't
even tell you if this was on the car to begin with or added later. Or for
what reason. Does this sound like anything? It's appears to be a simple
connection or ground perhaps. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Jim
65 4A
CT54531L