Re: 74tr6 install of pertronix ignitor

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 74tr6 install of pertronix ignitor
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:54:58 +0000
Cc: Tr6pjw@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
The ignitor is not really an electronic ignition system as defined by today's
standards, but rather a triggering device that directly
replaces the points.  Therefore, it should be simply a "drop-in" upgrade that
doesn't require any other parts replacement.

The two I have done were just that easy.  However, I have heard of some units
having defective magnets in the ring that goes around the
distributor's cam.  That will certainly cause erratic performance (running on 5
cylinders will do that).  It should be fairly easy to
figure out if that is the case here.  Just connect a timing light's trigger
wire alternatively to all 6 plug wires and see if any are
misfiring.

Joe