Re: frame and tub...necessary to get off rust?

To: naffy@netins.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: frame and tub...necessary to get off rust?
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:32:55 EST
Gary...
I am in total agreement with Fred's warnings...

Since the frame is truly the "heart of the matter" and since taking
everything off of it to clean, repaint, coat, etc. is a labor-intensive pain
in the butt, I would advise sandblasting it. You will then be able to see all
'need to be repaired areas' very clearly and can rest assured you have
removed all of the rust "spores" (my description at least).

I did this to mine and had the advantage of a powder coating firm near me
that could handle the large piece. At the very least, sandblast it and then
coat with a good quality chassis paint or POR 15. YOU ONLY WANT TO DO THIS
ONCE.....! Once rust has attacked, unless it is just slight surface rust,
that area is weakened. Granted the frames are fairly stout pieces but rust
can weaken anything. Sandblasting will quickly reveal areas that have been
"reduced" by the rust and must be fixed. Sandblasting my frame revealed
cracks around the diff mounting studs and near the front suspension mounts.
These were easily fixed but may have been overlooked had I only wirebrushed
or sanded/ground the frame. Do it once...do it right.
Larry M
TR250