TR tranny

To: bernd@triumphtr.de
Subject: TR tranny
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:56:53 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net
When the transmissions went from 3 speed synchro to 4 speed synchro, they
added about 5/8" to case, as I recall from memory (mild disclaimer on
measurement, but true on added length)

Redrill tailshaft mount holes and it will set right without the stress on the
mounts.

There are other things to consider, depending on the combination of pieces
that you have.

Once and for all, someone should put together a decision matrix on
combinations of components. Transmission bearing cover/throw out bear
sliders, starter motors, flywheels, and clutch covers. and release push rod
can all be affected, depending on what combination of components you have.
(yup, some of it I have done the hard way)

This would make a good tech article in the VTR mag. Years ago, some one did a
nice job on flow chart for rebuilding TR3/TR4 engine...sounds like another
opportunity.

I'd volunteer, but there are many other technically oriented folks out there
that could do a much better job than I could.

My preference is to have fourspeed synchro (OD) in a TR3A with conversion to
diaphragm clutch assembly and either TR4/A starter or new reduction starter.
(I made these conversions to both my TR3A street car and TR4 Vintage Racer)

Joe (A)
VTR Road Racing Advisor