Air Tools

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Tools
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:13:38 -0500
Hi Craig,

I have bought most of my air tools from Home Depot.  I chose the Campbell
Hausfeld "Professional Series" and have been very satisfied with them.
Keep them oiled, use a water separator and you should have many years of
use from them.  Bought my Craftsman 3/8" ratchet from Sears and it works
well also.  Don't try to use the air ratchet like a manual ratchet.  I
broke the gear ratcheting guts in one by applying too much torque
manually.  They are a little sluggish in the very cold weather so it
might not be a bad idea to bring them in during the winter season.

My useful air tools include:
3/8" ratchet
air drill
chisel
DA sander
die grinder

My indispensable tools include:
cut off wheel - extremely helpful for all kinds of appications
1/2" impact wrench, 350 to 400 ft/lb - excellent for disassembling
suspensions and parts cars
grease gun -great one hand operation

Next on the list is a body saw for cutting panels cleanly and a sand
blasting gun that recovers the blast media. An airboard would be very
useful if doing body work also.

I hope not to offend any listers but do yourself a favor by staying away
from tools made in China.  Someday it will probably change but there is
always a story to tell when I buy a Chinese manufactured tool.  Taiwan
manufacture is OK.  One lesson that I have learned along the way is that
you usually get what you pay for.

Good luck and wishing a safe, happy New Years to you all,

Jay Welch - Abington, MA
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
1971 TR6 project
1973 TR6 driver