A-Type OD questions

To: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Subject: A-Type OD questions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:14:43 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Dennis Lambert
>I have acquired an A-type OD tranny (early TR-6) in unknown working order.
I have inspected the gears from the top, and all look OK.   When I drained
the oil, no lumps of metal came out, but I had a few very very small silver
sparkles come out in the oil.  Are these indicative of something grossly
wrong, or is a little metal in the oil to be expected?  The oil was very
dirty, suggesting it had never been changed.

There is a small (about 2") lever on the right hand (drivers) side of the
OD
unit; what is it for?  I can't find reference to it in my manual.
<

This lever is on the valve operator shaft that is actuated by the solenoid.
 This lever is used to set the solenoid attachment to actuate the overdrive
when energized and to release the overdrive when the solenoid is
de-activated.  It can also be used to manually activate the overdrive.

Dave