Re: Original TR4 Radios

To: "James B. Mills" <jbmills@csiway.com>, "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Original TR4 Radios
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:54:04 -0400
Hi Jim
Thanbks for your note.
Very interesting, perhaps we can 'pal' on this, and report to the list
for the fun of it. I cleaned up the case today, found stamped on the
back of the case "ANT TRIM ABOVE 1400KC", so that's what the screw is
that is accessable thru a hole in the back of the case.

I don't recall if the radio stopped working when I pulled it way back in
the 80's, as I installed an FM Stereo/8strack in the cardboard glove box
in 1970.

I'm going to clean everything up and then hook it up to power and a
speaker and see what I get. I'll repaint the case with 'hammerhead'
finish- and maybe install it in the TR4A console I put in the car
whether it works or not. . I got a TR4A console from a lister, and the
vinyl cover  from MOSS. I was tired of banging my R.knee on the  metal
dash support, especially when wearing shorts in the summer.

Yes, the TR logo is quite neat, looking at everything with historical
and sentimental persepctive- cvlearly from 'an age gone by'. My face
plate is pretty clear, the red dial line bright - it'll be a fun
project. I took some JPEGS today of the rusty sad shape- and I'll
document the 'radio restoration'-maybe someday get it all on a web page
in the TR division.

I used to build crystal radios from a toilet paper roll, copper
windings- etc- one of my cub scout projects- so I can recognize most of
the 'guts' inside. Amazingly- the gears are all still working, the push
button work, and 4 of the six move the dial, but I'm working on it.

I am missing the right side retaining 'threaded dowel' insert, where the
securing nut spins on the 'hold' the radio in the console proper, but
maybe a lamp dowel will work. I found the two large chrome rings, but am
missing  the two black knobs. I can if I have to,  'create the
unobtainium' from wood with a 'shape and size blueprint', and paint them Black.

What is you rTR's CT #?
My car was registered as a '65, and by commission number was probably
manufactured and shipped in 'Jan '65 as well, as TR4 production stopped
in Jan 65 with CT 40304.
Moss says CT40001-CT40304 were the last TR4's made, (in) Jan '65.

True, the radio can't really be heard much above 50 mph (even my stereo
one). But when working on/around the car and on the back roads which I
prefer- it gives a change from just the engine tonals.

Sherman
TR4 CT40054L
also owned since '68, was a salesman's demonstrator, so I am actually
the first non-dealer related owner.