TR3B with 'wrong' (TR4) engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3B with 'wrong' (TR4) engine
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:39:42 -0400
Don, Randall, List;

This thread reminded me of my early TR4-TR3B experiences. When I bought
my '65  TR4 in '68 (it was the TR dealer's salesman's demo in Okla.
City), In late '69 I  met another student (from Chicago, as he had just
bought a used  TR3B for about 60% of what I paid.. He wished he had the
$ for the '4', with its roll up windows, better heater, fresh air vents
and more 'modern styling. I wish I had the 3B for its 'looks', but as my
daily and only car was very happy with the 4. Shortly thereafter 1970 he
had carb problems and went to the dealer to get them fixed under his
warranty. He came back with Strombergs, as these were reported to give
more power, and that's what the dealer put on them (maybe because of the
British-Leyland  buyout-SU's or their parts were no longer 'stocked'>

I also noted that the TR3B on e-bay did have the TR3 heater garden hose
style water valve, but was 'taken' most by the emissions hoses. Didn't
all the TR3's have the breather tube from the block, no vent in the
valve cover? My TR4 originally had a T pipe fitting from the valve cover
breather pipe around into the air cleaners. So that 'apparatus' looks
more TR4A. In any event its still a nice car, and if it brings more than
some of us feel its worth-isn't that good for all of us?

Sherman
Columbia, MD
TR4 CT40054L 'The Toy'