Paint stripping ( longer than planned)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint stripping ( longer than planned)
From: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:59:29 -0500
Hi Dear LisTeRs:
        I have to agree with Bob Westerdale. I undertook the huge task of
stripping my TR6 down to bare metal last winter. I removed all the
panels from the car.
        I took the advise from the "List" and purchased a gallon of "Airplane
stripper" from my local autozone. ($19.99) per gallon. It is amazing how
well it strips. I was able to strip most of the car with one gallon.
When I ran short I tried to use a stripper "CF5" recommended from a
industrial painter I work with. No contest. The "Airplane brand was much
better!
        I would like to add that I used a plastic scraper instead of a metal
one. (To reduce scratching). I also tried to sand some panels. Again No
contest. The chemical stripper was much easier! I would like to add that
when applying the stripper to brush on in one direction only (this
reduces evaporation).
        I also have to agree with Bob when he tells you not to sandblast with
anything other than walnut shells. I learned the hard way. I sent my
bonnet out to a local sandblaster. He used black beauty. When I got the
bonnet back it was NFG! It had at least 17 dents/warps in it!
        Also be aware that this stripper loosens any plastic filler (Bondo). In
my case this was a good thing, since I wanted to do a Resto with out
using plastic.
        All in all it is a big job! Labor intensive but not rocket science!
Anyone can do it. The end result is worth it!
        Bob Greene
76 TR6 CF56728UO

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rgreene.vcf]