TR6 - Body off, or not to Body off? Vote here!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Body off, or not to Body off? Vote here!
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:06:28 -0500
     Listers,

     The patient:
     1972 TR6, Sienna, aka brown, original (never 'restored'), unknown
     mileage, runs great, new interior, new poly front end, new wires
     and tires, 3-4 small dings in body, no noticeable rust on frame
     (Waxoiled in 1996), only visible rust on body at lower rear valence
     (2" X 1/4") and on rear wing just above right tail light (1/4"
     dia.)

     The issue: Owner doesn't like the sort of faded brown color, plans
     to repaint in the next 3-4 months.

     The question: Would you remove the body just to paint it,
     considering that there is very little 'body repair' and no panel
     patching/replacement necessary?

     Reason for the question: I've noted a thread on the list recently
     about how the car just isn't the same after a body off and was
     wondering if removing it, just for painting (esp. the engine bay),
     is overkill.  (Although, since I'm not immune to Shipwrights, you
     can be sure I'll find a hundred other things to replace once it is
     off.)

     Thanks,
     RickO