TR6 overdrive does not fit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 overdrive does not fit
From: pbrzozoski@netscape.net
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:48:21 -0500
Fellow Listers,
I thought I was all set to put a "J" type overdrive in my 74 "driver"; but
the tranny/OD from my parts car did not fit.  (Driver car CF25198U, built Aug
1974.   Parts car CF21808UO, built May 1974)
The issue is with the rear mount.  It is not because the brackets & mounts
are different (they are different) but it is because the frames are
different.  More precisely, where the bracket bolts to the frame is
different.  The bracket bolts further forward on the driver car (built Aug
without OD) than it does on the parts car (built May with OD).
Neither frame looks "modified" in this area, and the part that the bracket
bolts onto is welded on both frames.

Could I need an "A" type OD in one car and a "J" type in the other?  Are
there adapter brackets available that allow you to mount one type OD where
the other type was meant to be used?
(I would rather not consider cutting or welding anything to the frame to make
this work.)

I really don't understand why a "J" type OD does not fit into the "Aug 74"
car when it does fit into the "May 74" car.
I have owned the "Aug 74" car since early 77 and I have not swapped the
frame.  Nor can I imagine that the frame was swapped by the original owner in
the first 2 1/2 years of the car's life.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation or have an idea for a solution?

Thanks,
Phil
Pepperell, Ma.
Two 74 TR6s (with different frames?)