Re: Testing Overdrives & Gearboxes CORRECTION

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Britcar List <british-cars@autox.team.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Testing Overdrives & Gearboxes CORRECTION
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:47:54 -0500
I'm sure Kai's device is much sturdier than mine, but since I have no welder
(or ability to use one), I resorted to a garden hose for testing my gearbox.
I don't have a 1/2" chuck on my drill either, so I chucked a 1/2" drill bit
with a reduced shank into the 3/8" drill I DO have. Then, I slipped one end
of a short length of 1/2" ID garden hose over the input shaft, the other end
onto the drill bit. Used hose clamps to hold the ends in place. Worked like
a charm and no centering to worry about.

The key word above, regarding the hose length, is "short". There should be
only a very small gap between the end of the drill bit and the input shaft,
and the hose clamps should be close to the ends of both. If the gap is too
great, the hose will tend to twist and eventually twist itself apart. Worked
for me anyway...YMMV.

Wish I'd had some the the other info Kai provided when I was testing mine.
Nice documentation! Oh well...

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O

<british-cars@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,