Suspension centering?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Suspension centering?
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:51:40 -0500
Hello All,

I have a question for the masses.

I just replaced the redlines on my factory steel wheels with BFG
215/70-15 T/A SR4 blackwalls.  Look great and ride nice but I have a
question regarding the space between the tire and the front fenders.
When I took the steel wheels off to sandblast them I popped on a set of
aluminum wheels with 235/75 balloons so I could still move the car
around.  These wheels had less backspacing than the steel wheels and my
dilemma was very clear to me at this point.   I measured this by first
leveling the car from left to right.  I then hung a weighted string
across the hood and fenders down past the center of the front hubs.
There is about a 1/2 inch difference between the left and right from the
string into the hub.  Where the frame is mounted to the body seems to be
equal on both sides.  Would there be a simple fix to this situation?
It's not real noticeable but I would like to straighten it out if not too
involved (cutting welding etc..).  Both wheels are identical.  A couple
of local list members took a look at it during a recent visit and thought
it might be caused by the steering rack being loose.  As I thought about
it though, it seems to me that a loose rack would only make the steering
less responsive at the steering wheel.  All suggestion appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay Welch
Abington, MA
71 TR6 project