stuck heater - fuse blower

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: stuck heater - fuse blower
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:27:36 EST
Craig,
I wonder if before you take console all apart if you could with a piece of
rigid wire, operating from the scuttle vent, somehow get the heater induction
fanblade to rotate even a little- I'm thinking it may just need a helpful
prod to loosen the motor shaft in its bushes. In my full restoration I took
my heater out and a lot of stuff had to come out first (it's buried pretty
deep).
Although my fan worked ok prior I found a nice fat mouse nest atop the core
inside the heater box. They used (the critters) all the felt on the heater
box flap and some of my rugs as building materials (didn't smell great). I
stripped the box completely, cleaned, flushed, painted, rerubber gasketed,
puttied the corners, re-felted the flap, and attempted to get a little oil to
the motor shaft bushes while in there. The motor would be hard to open as the
blade is pressed on pretty tight and would have to be yanked (yanked hard) to
remove (even after I removed retainer clip) and I didn't want to break
something that seemed to work fine. (been there - done that)
The scuttle vent flap on a TR4 has a deflector inside that would get in the
way but would come off with removing the flap (a few screws). The TR6 I
believe has a plastic grill and I'm not sure if there is a deflector inside -
either case if you could get the blade to budge a little - you may be on your
way..
(don't scrathc the paint!)

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74