engine stands and 6 cyl motors

To: <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Subject: engine stands and 6 cyl motors
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:15:08 -0600
Cc: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
!@#@#$# TR engineers.  Eric, you have found the Achilles heel of an engine
rebuild.  I hope you have a 4 wheel stand.

Indeed, this is a problem I've faced in the past myself.  You CANNOT safely
place a long block on one of these stands as the length and centre of
gravity is too far away.  Really, these stands were designed for V8
shovvies.  Do your build-up of the crank and cam timing on the stand.  Then
remove the lot and build the long block on a bench.

I am interested in building an adaptor plate such the that block sits
sideways rather than lengthways on these stands.  My idea is to make a frame
out of square tubing that can bolt on to the normal engine mounts, the front
and rear of the block.  I want to be able to fit the back plate and flywheel
in situ.  The same concept will be used for a gearbox stand.

When I get a design together that works I will post to the list and send
jpegs to my website.  If anyone else out there has done this already can you
please contact me so I needn;t re-invent the wheel?

TIA

Dave T