Re: hydraulics

Subject: Re: hydraulics
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 10:52:33 -0800
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
All I have to do is look at all the damage done to my TR3 over the 'DPO'
years by leaking brake fluid, to convince me there _is_ a reason to
switch to DOT 5 even in a healthy system.  If you use glycol in a LBC,
it _will_ eventually leak, and it _will_ eat the paint in places that
are not easily accessible.

I saw a car at Triumphest that simply had "DOT 5 ONLY" written with
Magic Marker on the plastic MC cover.  Not exactly concours, but quite
effective.  Of course, the same idiot who wouldn't notice you had DOT 5
might well think that was the windshield washer reservoir and put water
in it ...

BTW, DOT 5 mixed with DOT 3/4 is no worse than DOT 3/4 by itself.  They
are completely compatible, although the DOT 5 stays separate.  It does
tend to make the gradual deterioration of the DOT 3/4 more obvious,
though.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver