Bosch Fuel Pump Conversion for PI (TR6) (long too)

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bosch Fuel Pump Conversion for PI (TR6) (long too)
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:20:40 +0930charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello the list,

I just wanted to inform you all that the conversion of my
'69 TR6 PI to use a Bosch fuel pump instead of the standard
Lucas pump. Those of you with Petrol Injected TR6s probably
are already aware of the problems you encounter with the
stock pump in hot weather (which is coming up down here), so
you may be interested in my conversion.

You also may or may not remember that I had also set up a
Web page with the details of what I had planned to do, and
the parts I had acquired to do it with
(http://www.adelaide.net.au/~frankb/). I plan to update this
with pictures and details of what I have done within the next
fortnight or so when I get some time to take some pictures.
But for now I'll just give you a summary...

The stock setup is:

Fuel Tank -> Low Pressure Fuel Filter -> Lucas Pump ->

Pressure Relief Valve -> Metering Unit.

This I have replaced with:

Fuel Tank -> Strainer -> Bosch Pump (Part # 0 580 254 927) ->

High Pressure Fuel Filter (Part # 0 450 905 401) ->

Pressure Relief Valve -> Metering Unit.

Additional work I have performed in this process is relatively
minor, and not difficult. The fuel tank outlet was enlarged
to 5/8" (as well as a plate getting welded in to fix up a
rust problem in the tank). I have also installed a modern fuel
safety switch in place of the inertia cutout switch (which was
missing from my car anyway) so I shouldn't get petrol pumped
all over me in case of an accident. It shuts off the pump if
the ignition is on for more than one and a half seconds without
attempting to start the engine, or if the engine stalls.

The strainer, pump, and filter are now all mounted between the
rear wing (fender for those in the US I believe) and the boot/
luggage compartment behind the rear wheel arch - not in the
boot as they were with the stock setup. I have left the Pressure
Relief Valve in the boot compartment though, so there were
minimal changes needed to finish the conversion. Fuel lines
were routed through two already existing holes in the coachwork
(with grommets of course) so it was easy to hook it all up.

So how does it all perform? Well judging from the starting
problems I had with the old pump and fuel safety switch
(I did the installation in stages - safety switch first) the
new pump gets up to pressure much quicker than the Lucas
pump. I don't have any running problems (so far) with the
Bosch pump, so I guess the pressure is adequate (I haven't
checked yet), and I can hardly hear the new pump pumping
it's little heart away (which is a welcome relief from the
very loud whine of the old pump). So far so good.

Sorry about the length of this post, but....

If anyone has any questions about the conversion feel free
to contact me either via the list, or directly at:
mailto:frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au

Frank Biedermann
1969 TR6 PI
Adelaide