Re: Removing sills - anyone, anyone?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing sills - anyone, anyone?
From: DRSkruffy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 18:58:13 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/00 9:56:24 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tigerpb@ids.net
writes:

<< Cliff:
  When I did my Tiger, I bought a spot weld drill bit at the local welding
 supply. This looks like a mini hole saw with a pilot drill bit. I drills the
 spot weld out of the top sheet of metal, allowing it to pop free without
 hacking up the underlying metal.
 Did the rocker boxes, fenders and front valance with this tool. The Tiger is
 a unit body-the fenders don't unbolt. This tool paid for itself many times
 over.
 Just be sure to check the fit of the replacement panels before hacking out
 any rot.
 Paul Burr

I have used one of these several times and I think they are great. The key is
being careful not to go through both layers. I generally drill a pilot hole
first. It appears that the pilot on the cutter is supposed to ride in the
dimple in the spot weld but it never worked for me.