Re: Weber downdrafts and TR6 PCV system

To: "Wendy Hart" <hartw@PLASTEKGROUP.COM>, "Triumphs \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber downdrafts and TR6 PCV system
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:28:13 -0500

I'm interested in oil leaks these days so I'll ramble on a bit in the hope
that I can help.

Where exactly does the oil leak from? Many TR-6s have external
supplementary oil feed lines that run from the back left side of the
cylinder head to a fitting near the oil pressure switch. These are usually
attached to the cylinder with a banjo fitting and sealed with copper crush
washers. Once you loosen the fitting at the cylinder head you have to
replace the crush washers or it will leak sooner or later.

You mentioned replacing the head gasket. Did you replace it with a modern
teflon coated gasket (Payen makes these) or one of the original style
composite gaskets? I've had excellent results with the Payen gasket (don't
use any sealent on these). I once had a nasty leak when I used a
reproduction composite gasket, but it was a WATER leak, not an oil leak.

Dumb question, but did you also replace the valve cover gasket? Some
aftermarket valve covers do not have a groove to keep the gasket in place
so I would check to see if you have one of these. If the previous owner put
webers on then the valve cover may have been changed as well.  The original
cork valve cover gaskets do not seal well if you have such a valve cover
(some say they don't seal well either way).

When reinstalling my (aftermarket) valve cover I use a gasket maker product
called "The Right Stuff" which is made by Loctite/Permatex. I clean both
mating surfaces with a scraper and some lacquer thinner and then run a bead
of this black rubber/caulk stuff around the edge of the valve cover. Once
I bolt the valve cover back on I can drive away in 5 minutes- you do NOT
have to wait for this stuff to cure like some other products. At $13 a can
it isn't cheap, but it works extremely well and one can makes more than two
TR-6 valve cover gaskets. Don't let the cutesy name stop you from trying
this stuff- you'll like it.

If you have a pressurized crankcase oil will eventually leak out from
somewhere. I've had it leak from the oil filler cap (check the gasket and
seal up any weep holes you see with silicone) and the studs which secure
the valve cover to the head (I now use fiber sealing washers and deep cap
nuts to attach my valve cover).

PCV valves run a delicate balance- they will only open with the right
amount of manifold vacuum. They aren't supposed to open at idle OR at wide
open throttle. If the PCV valve you selected isn't opening because it is
calibrated for some other engine then it isn't going to relieve the
pressure in your crankcase. If you ran your engine "plugged" for a while
then the pressure just built up until it found a way out.

Cheers,

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com