Re: Parts Quality

To: john matthews <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Parts Quality
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:25:15 -0700
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John,

Well said! This has been my philosophy during my 4 1/2 year restoration. The
parts I had to purchase were either not rebuildable or had  so much damage,
wear, etc. that it was just beyond my means and/or capabilities. But, I
refinished, repaired and reused as much of the original car as I possibly could.
Many of the parts and components were hand built by my brother and me to match
as closely as possible the original parts, the upholstery panels fall into this
category. I think my philosophy pays off in the quality of the restoration. In
concurs competition, I have gone up against cars that have been "professionally"
restored (one TR3 owner rumored to have spent in the range of $30000.00!) and
beaten them. My car has taken two 1st in class awards in the two shows entered.
The car just looks like a labor of love rather than a labor of "big bucks.

I also was blessed with a very complete and nearly original car!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3
Palo Alto, CA