RE: Wire Wheels

To: "'Michael Ferguson'" <fergie@ntplx.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wire Wheels
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:04:02 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Michael-
        I put a new set of 60 spoke Daytons on my car last year, with new
splined adapters and new knockoffs ( TRF )  and have had no problems
whatsoever.  Of course you have not made the Left-Right error, right?
        I'd recommend making a small mark on the Knockoff and one on the
wheel, too, to see if the KO is backing off or there is a problem with the
KO threading.  If you find that the marks have not moved, and you can
tighten the KO a little further each time, then the KO threads are in real
bad shape and no further driving allowed!   If the marks have moved,
relative to each other, then the KO is backing off.  Assuming the L-R is
correct, the only explanation I could think of is some kind of mismatch
between the wheel hub splines and the adapters, probably a loose fit and
subsequent rocking causes the loosening of the KO.  These should fit
together with only a minimum of 'play',  any looseness will contribute to
the premature failure of the wheel, hub adapter, or both.  Careful here!!
regards,
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS36967E