Re: TR4 jacking - watch out

To: <erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: TR4 jacking - watch out
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 21:42:02 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
James Ruffner wrote:

In view of someone's comments as
to notices placed in the factories and shops in England, perhaps I will
cease this practice.  I should mention, that using some very simple
physics (engineering) the net force on a TR-3 axle at the wheel, is about
400 lbs, if lifted at the diff.

James - I plead guilty as the originator of that comment and I won't take issue
with you
on the point you make.
The factory perspective was broadly twofold:

1. Each car had jacking points as an integral part of its structure and these
were to be
used.
2. I doubt anyone would dispute that a car can be jacked from the differential
- and in
probably quite a number of cases without damage. The company view was that the
axle was a
mechanical assembly in its own right and while it was substantial in terms of
strength, it
should not be used for jacking the rear end any more than the engine sump
should be used
for a similar purpose at the front. Of course, we all know this is an illogical
comparison
but the point was the same. Essentially, it was a known and measurable risk
that damage
might be caused to the diff and that the fault could become manifest within the
warranty
period. As any manufacturer inevitably wants to minimise warranty charges,
prevention is
obviously better than cure.

Jonmac