Re: wire wheel tubes

To: <ArthurK101@aol.com>, <erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: wire wheel tubes
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:57:45 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>

-----Original Message-----
From: ArthurK101@aol.com <ArthurK101@aol.com>
To: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu <erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 11:34 PM

>In a message dated 05-Sep-00 20:35:56 Eastern Daylight Time,
>erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu writes:
>
>> The usual way of sealing the rims of wires is to use a rubber band on
>>  the inside, that covers the nipples.  New rims used to come with
>>  these.  If you dont have one, then you can use an old innertube to make
>>  one.
>
>I have been sitting here and not talking.  BUT after 36 years of wire
wheels
>on my TR4 I think "What is the problem here?"  My wire wheels with Michelin
>X's came from the factory with tubes.  The rubber bands were on the rims to
>prevent the spoke ends from puncturing the tubes.  I have replaced my tires
4
>times and each time replaced the tubes (about $5 each).  No problems ever.
>
>Why mess around trying to seal the wheels?  They were not designed for
>tubeless tires in the first place and you are going to have the 2 problems
of
>sealing the inner section and the outer rim.  IMO, just put tubes in there.

Especially since the wheels do not have the "safety rim" bump, designed to
retain the tire on the rim if there is a leak.  Many, if not most, tire
shops will refuse to put tubeless tires on such a wheel.  I had to sign a
waiver to get a shop to put tubeless tires on my Midget's steel wheels.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster" - 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a
bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.