Update: Unknown frightening noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Update: Unknown frightening noise
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:34:47 -0400
Hello Listers,

An update about the noise in my TR3 engine.

What I know about the engine is that it has not gone through a recent
rebuild.  Records from the DPO (Deceased) indicate that a new timing
chain was added.  No other major engine work done during his 3 years
of active ownership.  The TR3 sat unused for 9 years until my purchase.

Compression is good on all four cylinders.

Oil pressure is 50 cold and when under speed,  20 hot and idle.

After removing the vibrating front grille I heard this noise.  Changed the
oil from Mobil 1 15W-50 to Castrol 20W-50.  No difference.

Something vibrating, like an air cleaner or bonnet prop rod.

Rod bearing.

Worn / loose Gudgeon pin.

Loose engine mount.

Ignition knock from wrong timing or low octane or hot spot in cylinder.

The TR3 has been fuelled only by Sunoco 94 Octane.

I will be retarding the timing as recommended to see if that will help.

An oil change to straight 50W will be done.

I will go over the nuts and bolts in the engine compartment again.

Engine and transmission mounts are scheduled to be replaced this
winter.  Parts are here.

Thank you for the responses.

Roger

Roger Colson