RE: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?

To: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Subject: RE: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:39:51 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Carl,

I switched to DOT5 for these two reasons:

1) DOT5 doesn't hurt paint, whereas DOT4 eats it up.

2) DOT5 doesn't absorb water, so theoretically you can go a much longer
amount of time between changing out the fluid. This is also supposed to be
an advantage on cars to that don't get much use, but I don't intend on
having my TR3 end up in that category.

I've found two downsides to DOT5:

1) The cost of the fluid. I don't expect this to be a big ongoing concern,
but through the trials and errors of restoration it did add up a bit!

2) Seems like it is a bit harder to bleed originally.

Dave Moag
62 TR3B
77 Spitfire
La Canada, CA