vehicle grounding - body vs frame vs engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: vehicle grounding - body vs frame vs engine
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:25:18 -0400

71 GT-6:     Battery (-) terminal is attached to an engine/trans bolt.  Is there
any (should there be any) direct ground wires between engine and frame and body
and engine?  It appears that any grounding is handled thru the vehicle wiring
harness.   Advantages of adding direct ground leads between the major assys?
Others done this?

The reason that I ask is that my Crane XR-700 unit acted up on my way to work
last Friday morning after a brief (15 minute) hot soak (love those 24 hr. Home
Depot stores) on a decidedly cool morning.   After 3.5 hours everything worked
OK again.  In talking to Crane tech person, one of the suggestions was to check
all grounds.   I have checked the ground path to the Crane unit and that is not
the problem but it did get me thinking about grounds and how modern cars with
all the electronics typically have redundant grounds between body and engine and
frame (if applicable).

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This message contains information which may be privileged
or confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
NOTIFIED that any dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify us immediately by calling our office at (905) 669-2888
or by return e-mail at info@decoma.com, Attention:  General Counsel.