How To: TR4 Brake Backing Plate Repair?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How To: TR4 Brake Backing Plate Repair?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:28:04 EDT
Hi List

Has anyone got smart repair for rear brake shoe 'seats' (the six little
machined footings - 3 for each shoe - pressed in/then machined flat into each
brake backing plate)?

For the last years of my cars life it's been difficult to minimize the
shoe/drum clearance as the footings are worn slightly (1mm?) and irregularly
angled causing shoes to seat slightly crooked when in rest mode. That means I
have to leave a bigger gap between brake lining and drum resulting in more
foot pedal travel up front from clumsy brake response in back.
I could weld build-up these seats then machine back down for $1000 probably
..I don't think I can find backing plates in much better condition at the
breaker yards.
Anyone deal with this and come up with a reasonable solution?
Anybody got some NOS backing plates?? :-)

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74   CT 22326L