Clutch - release bearing -advice needed please

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch - release bearing -advice needed please
From: "Linkens, Andy" <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:26:24 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi listers,
I've just replaced the gearbox and been for a test drive. Unfortunately, it
appears I made a bad decision. When the box was out I took a look at the
clutch and there was plenty of life left in it so I decided to put it back
in and not replace the release bearing (dumb move I think now!). Theory was
that as the car only does a couple of thousand miles a year it would be OK.
So, I put a bit of grease in the release bearing and it felt OK (no gritty
feeling) and refitted with some copper grease on the face that touches the
clutch fingers (probably shouldn't have done this!)
When in neutral I now hear a loud whining noise - increases with engine
speed and sadly I can hear it when I drive and select the gears.

Is it possible that the copper grease is causing the face of the release
bearing to slip over the fingers and make a louder noise than before?
Will this go away with time?

Or, have I got a suspect bearing and do I just have to pull the box out
again and replace it? Aagh!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance,
Andy