Re: TR4 sway bar

To: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 sway bar
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:37:07 -0700
Cc: barteet@nceas.ucsb.edu, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Jay,

I've recently been through this same process on my car, found a number
of things I wanted to "improve". The Addco 3/4 inch bar itself is simple
and just fine. However, I did a lot of work to upgrade the fastening
points at the wishbones and the frame:

Addco uses a simple flat bracket that attaches with one of the wishbone
bolts. I felt this could allow the bar to shift side to side, so welded
a small piece of angle iron onto the bracket to allow each bracket to
bolt in two places, and to prevent the bracket from twisting under the
bolts.

Next I swapped the long bolts that link the bar to that bracket for
stronger Grade 8 bolts, threw away the Nylok nuts and drilled the bolts
to use castellated nuts and cotter pins.

The toughest part was making up some mounting brackets, out of larger
angle steel, to attach to the frame extensions (from the frame to the
front bumper/valance). These provide a flat mounting point that is
"neutral", aligned properly with the sway bar. (Addco came with two flat
"tabs" that I guess you are supposed to weld onto the frame, in a TR4
installation. They're in the recycle bin now.) The brackets I made are
probably over-engineered, with 3 small gussets each and nuts welded on
to allow easier installation/removal of the bar. All mounting bolts have
been drilled to allow for safety wire.

Finally, I used urethane bushings throughout. (I'll play with a combo of
urethane & rubber at the wishbone links to dial in the bar, once the car
is back on the road)

All in all, I think I could have saved some time & maybe some money
buying a kit from someone like Revington TR (NFI, yada) - a kit  which
was more completely & specifically designed for the car. I'm not
recommending against the Addco kit, it worked out fine for me. Just be
prepared to do some fitting work.

I think the "factory" kits we see from folks like Moss & TRF are usually
TR6 kits and will work fine on 4A/250/5's, but not on 4's, due to the
different set up around the front of the frame, esp. the "radiator
guard" where those bars bolt up.

I hope this helps. Other listers who have purchased kits from RTR or
similar companies may be able to shed some light on their kits.

Drop me a note off-list if you want additional info or a jpeg or two.
BTW, the instructions with my Addco bar said it was for a TR6.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L (under construction, est. 2002-2012 completion date)